Friday, July 18, 2008

Got the call

I received the call on Wednesday to join the State Department Junior Officer training class in September. Previously, I was planning to enter the program on a later date because I need several months to help the kids settle in completely, finish the move to our permanent house (sometime in October/November), and help USAID mission in Jakarta with a couple of projects. With the new development, everything needs to be changed. I've started to tell the kids about my travel plans and it doesn't seem to bother them that I'll be away for months.

I've decided to accept the offer, because not only this timing would be my best bet to get posted back here with Ted next summer, but also a dream finally came true. Soon after I was naturalized, I started to prepare myself for the test. After several failures of written test and one oral assessment, I finally passed both tests this year. It would be pretty insane to let go the opportunity. However, the timing of the class isn't ideal so I didn't fall off the chair like many other candidates when I received the invitation. One thing I can think positively is that we have a really nice pembantu, Ibu Tinah. I feel that I can totally trust her to take care of the kids and manage the house while I'm away.

So, if all goes according to the plan, I'll see many of you back in DC in September!!!

No comments: