Monday, July 14, 2008

Learning Bahasa Indonesia

On our second day in Jakarta, I got a few names of Indonesian tutors from HR and started to call them. I was very lucky to get a really good tutor from REALIA, Pak Iskander. I was planning in the beginning to take 12 hours of language class with him, but soon found out that it was too ambitious. So, I cut it back to 6 hours a week. Pak Iskander comes to my house to teach me 4 times a week.

As everyone told me, Bahasa Indonesia is not very difficult. But when it comes to usage of formal and informal words, it does get complicated. I'm supposed to use proper words depending on who I'm speaking with. But I guess since Indonesians can tell immediately that Saya bukan Orang Indonesia (I'm not an Indonesian), they'll forgive me if I don't use the proper format. Several pembantus in the compound were very surprised last week when I started to speak to them in Bahasa Indonesia, and claimed that Bahasa Indonesia saya bagus (My Indonesian is good).

Pak Iskander planned to take me to a nearby mosque tomorrow to interview 5 people. I successfully negotiated it down to tiga orang (3 people). Bargaining is essential here, even with my tutor.

Terima kasih & Sampai jumpa!

1 comment:

Ben Wang said...

I have to begin my response with a big WOW!

Reading your blog feels like walking with you to that exotic region of the world, a brand new life that you seem to be adapting so well. With your linquistic talents, it's little surprise that people are surprised with your Bahasa Indonesian. Next thing you know, you'll be watching TV and reading local newspapers in their own language.

Your parents are truly amazing, too, by venturing out on their own and engaging in "financial transactions". Please do remember me and my family to them.

Look foward to more enjoyable reading of your blog and, espcially, to lots and lots of pics.

Take care and enjoy!